Got a novel, novella, or short story you’re not sure about? Do you need a second opinion, advice, a critique? Do you want in-depth line and content editing, from someone who will work to ensure your manuscript is the best it can possibly be?
Hey, I’ll do that.
What you’ll get:
- Basic line and copy-editing. I’ll go through your manuscript word by word and flag grammatical problems, word/phrase repetition, simple typos, and awkward phrasing.
- Developmental and content editing. I’ll dig deep into both the details and the structure of your manuscript and flag inconsistencies in character, plot, descriptions, logic, and overall worldbuilding. I’ll look for ways in which your work can be made richer and more vital, and I’ll provide feedback regarding both specific in-text issues and more general, over-arching aspects of the manuscript as a holistic piece.
What this will consist of:
- Comments/edits within the body of the manuscript.
- A four-to-eight page general critique of the manuscript as a whole.
- If needed, one-on-one chats via AIM, Google Hangout, Skype, or the messaging service of your choice.
Why you would want to hire me:
- I have over half a decade of experience in professional speculative fiction publishing. To date, I’ve sold six novels, two novellas, and over fifty short stories, and my work has been featured in some of the top science fiction and fantasy markets, as well as multiple year’s best collections. My debut novel Line and Orbit was a winner in multiple categories in the 2013 Rainbow Awards, and it received a starred review from Publisher’s Weekly and a Top Pick from RT Book Reviews. Over the course of my career I’ve worked in close collaboration with editors and other authors on a number of levels. I’ve learned a great deal; now I want to use what I’ve learned to help you.
- I have extensive experience as a member of the SF writer’s group Codex, offering and receiving in-depth critiques of other members’ work.
- As a writer who’s published widely in queer/LGBT science fiction, fantasy, horror, and romance, I specialize in innovative, genre-melding speculative fiction, especially work that incorporates diverse casts of characters and seeks to break tradition regarding whose voices are represented and whose stories are told. I believe those stories matter. I want to see them in the world.
- As an editor, I offer experience as a working writer currently engaged with the market and a member of a community devoted to making stories as strong, rich, and real as they can be.
What I charge:
- 3 cents per word for novels.
- 2 cents per word for novellas.
- 1 cent per word for novelettes.
- A flat fee of $60 for short stories.
- I accept payment via PayPal, Venmo, Square Cash, or personal check.
For more information and to discuss hiring me to edit your work, get in touch with me here.