YES a very merry book birthday to it and to me. This is exciting. You can pick it up here, and not only can you do that, but after you do you can get its prequel Line and Orbit (which Publisher’s Weekly very kindly called “phenomenal”) for only $.99 over here. So that’s like… That’s a lotta book, man. That’s a pretty great deal.
In case you’re not familiar with Fall and Rising, here’s a nifty explanatory blurb:
Adam Yuga is on the run. Three months ago, a miracle saved him from the deadly genetic illness that threatens the entire population of his former home, the Protectorate. Now he and his lover Lochlan are searching for a way to heal his people. When they receive a mysterious coded message promising hope, they make a desperate grab for it, and are imprisoned—by the very race they want to save.
On Lochlan’s distant homeship, a young pilot named Nkiruka faces an agonizing choice: stay with her lover Satya and live a life of happy obscurity, or become the spiritual leader—and the last and only hope—for the Bideshi. Nkiruka doesn’t want to lose Satya, but worse, she fears she lacks the strength to carry anyone through the coming storm, let alone her entire people.
Threads of chance and destiny draw the three together. With the fates of civilizations in their hands, they prepare for a final conflict that might be their only chance for survival—or that might destroy them all.
I’m also doing a blog tour over the next few days, during which you’ll have a chance to win not only copies of the book (one of them paperback and signed) but two book-inspired bracelets I made, with stone, copper, wood, agate, and glass. Here’s them:
So YEAH. Today is a pretty good day. Watch for more.
- IT IS LITERALLY A WEEK UNTIL FALL AND RISING, BOOK II OF THE ROOT CODE TRILOGY, BOUNCES INTO THE WORLD. A week. omg. I’ll be doing a blog tour starting then – here’s the itinerary – and I’ll be giving away STUFF, including jewelry that I made with my own two hands. In the meantime, you still have a week to preorder, which is AWESOME, because that means you get a discount of 20% on the print edition and 30% on the print/ebook package. ISN’T THAT GREAT. Yes. Yes, it is.
- I have a story out in Apex this month and it’s been getting some very nice review nods, including a “recommended” from Lois Tilton over at Locus. The whole issue is fantastic and you should read the hell out of it.
Aside from that, there’s other stuff, but I’m not ready to talk about it yet.
I should note that recently I’ve been very bad at using this blog for actual blogging. There are a number of reasons for this, many of them pertaining to mental health, but I think I’m clawing my way back up – I’ve taken a teaching position for the academic year, which means I’m now employed after a longish period of technically not being employed – and I hope to be around more in this specific capacity. Which means I hope to be blogging more.
Anyway, stuff is chugging along. ONE WEEK UNTIL BOOK. Yay.
So yeah, two pieces of delightful news.
- My story “Dispatches From a Hole in the World” will appear in Queers Destroy Horror!, the special issue of Nightmare coming this October. You can check out a partial ToC here, and it is just fantastic, LOOKIT
- After years of getting stuff written and published, I’m going to release a short story collection with Undertow Publications. Singing With All My Skin and Bone will rip its bloody way into the world next August with some of my own favorite stuff to date, as well as some new things. I am just so super excited about this, you don’t even know; Undertow’s Shadows and Tall Trees bought one of my earliest stories and they are fantastic.
- Re: Fall & Rising, a reminder that it’s hitting figurative shelves at the end of August, and I’ll be doing a blog tour and a giveaway and all kinds of tasty stuff. So stay tuned.
I didn’t mean to become a horror/dark fiction writer but it does seem like that’s happened a bit. Ain’t complainin’.