I’m not sure how I forgot this one, but I was just out for a walk and ended up listening to this while doing so and oh my god I love this song (I also love the game embarrassingly much). It’s not instrumental, it’s a goddamn ballad, and it’s the best. Enjoy.
Here we go, the second in a series. August was a seriously mixed bag; a fair amount happened but I also didn’t feel nearly as productive as I would have liked. Let’s face it, August just kind of sucked anyway. Hopefully September will suck less for everyone overall.
As usual, fandom RP/Darrow stuff is under the cut.
- Ravenfall got released. Slightly later than anticipated, but it’s out there and you can pay money for it, which is always appreciated. What’s appreciated even more are reviews if you do pay money for it. You can also read chapter 1 for free here.
- Labyrinthian promo started. Technically this started on July 31st, but whatever. Cover art got revealed here, and I posted the first chapter here. Be watching for a lot more about that in the next few months: freebies, giveaways, etc. I’m so excited about this book.
- I had a story in Strange Horizons. “Cold as the Moon”. It’s weird and sad, which seems to be a lot of what I do these days. It’s my third story in that market, which is awesome.
- I sold a story to Shimmer. “Come My Love and I’ll Tell You a Tale”. Elise tells me they’re full up on bleak at the moment so it’ll probably come out sometime later in 2015, but yaaaaay. That will also be my third story in that mag.
- I kept working on novels. I’m behind on Rookwar (Casting the Bones book 3), mostly because it keeps getting longer. I think it’s going to be by far the strongest book in the trilogy, which is good because it’s also the last, but it’s becoming a monster. There is a lot going on in it. I still hope to be ready to send it off to my editor in the next few days. I also continued work on Untitled Book About How Kae d’Bideshi Met His Wife and They Had Adventures and Saved Everyone and Dealt With Relationship Stuff in an Awkward Fashion ( UBAHKBMHWaTHAaSEaDWRSiaAF), though that’s going a good bit slower because it’s not first priority at the moment.
- I wrote a short story. Just one, but it’s the first one I’ve written in a while, and it was comforting as evidence that it’s something I can still do. Novels have been taking up almost all of my energy lately.
- I submitted a couple of other short stories. Got a no on one of them, haven’t heard back yet about the other.
- I wrote a fic for a friend’s birthday. It’s set in Darrow-verse and is actually a crossover with another RP verse, so it will make sense to probably almost no one, but it’s a thing I wrote and I’m proud of it so I’m linking it anyway: “Gravitation”.
- Coming up in September: I have a story coming out in Nightmare next week – “Singing With All My Skin and Bone” – and I’ll be at the Baltimore Book Festival toward the end of the month. I’ll be on a couple of SFWA panels, I’ll have books for purchase at the SFWA vendor’s table, I’ll be at the SFWA reception, and I may be doing a reading. If you’re in the area, stop by. The programming looks awesome. I also will hopefully have finished Rookwar and I’m potentially slated to start work on a new book that I can’t talk about yet.
Okay, RP SOTP. If you’re one of the Darrow crowd, come in under the shadow of the cut.
I wasn’t going to launch into promo for this book until September, but whatever, it’s almost September, and I want to. So here’s the first chapter of Labyrinthian, which – recap – is coming out in January from Samhain Publishing. It’s a (very, very loose) retelling of the myth of Theseus and the Minotaur IN SPACE, and it’s set in the Line and Orbit universe, though it doesn’t feature any of the characters from that book and it stands totally on its own. It takes place shortly after the events of Line and Orbit, and if the L&O sequel ever actually gets a release, one should assume that it’s happening concurrent with that.
Here’s the blurb:
A hunter should never fall for his prey.
A hunter’s heart should never fall prey to his quarry.
Still nursing his latest post-mission hangover, bounty hunter Theseus jumps at a high-paying, high-risk job that sounds ridiculously easy. Yet from the moment he nabs the alleged supersoldier with sedative gas, nothing is as it seems.
On the run from the facility where he was created and raised, Taur is desperate to locate his genetically engineered brothers and sisters. To rescue them—and himself—from slavery. Waking aboard Theseus’ ship, his fury is tempered by curiosity about his captor. Despite his doubts about his prisoner, Theseus figures it’d be risky to let Taur go—until they’re thrown together by a shared betrayal. They declare a tentative truce as they flee from a shadowy and immensely powerful organization that will stop at nothing to find them.
But as they wrestle with their growing feelings for each other, Taur and Theseus face an even greater danger. A lethal threat lurking inside Taur’s own body, waiting to explode…
So here’s the first chapter, which introduces Taur and reveals the fact that he’s not having a very good day, or week, or life.
(Warning: this actually gets pretty violent at one point)
omg IT’S THE END
Yes, the final Thematic Hand-Made By Me Bracelet and the final copies of Crowflight and Ravenfall. It’s been quite a week of giving away free things, and thank you so much to everyone who entered and/or spread the word.
The final round’s bracelet is “Flight to the Stars”:
“Flight to the Stars” – August 16
AND THE FINAL ROUND’S WINNER IS: Manali! *CONFETTI*
If you didn’t win books and you desire them, you can actually pay money for them here and here. Thanks again to everyone who entered. Shiny things will be on the way to their lucky recipients as soon as I can package them up and run them down to the post office.
The idea that I’m going to be doing this on specific days is sort of funny at this point. >_> This has been a fairly ridiculous week. But HEY. Free stuff. Just a recap: I am giving away four sets of Crowflight and Ravenfall – the first two books in the Casting the Bones trilogy – as well as four separate thematic bracelets.
TODAY’S YESTERDAY’S WINNER IS: Cathy! Awright Cathy!
This round’s bracelet is “Wing and Bone”.
“Wing and Bone” – August 14
As before, if you didn’t win this time around, you’ll get two more chances before the final drawing on the 16th. And entries are still open! (scroll to the bottom for the entry form).
So once again I’m late with this – very sorry, the last few days have gotten pretty rough for a number of reasons. But! Giving things away makes everything feel nicer, so welcome to Day 2 of the Great Ravenfall giveaway, wherein I’ll be giving away four sets of Crowflight and Ravenfall – the first two books in the Casting the Bones trilogy – as well as four separate thematic bracelets.
This round’s bracelet is “The Lady’s Silver”:
“The Lady’s Silver” – August 12
AND THIS ROUND’S WINNER IS: Jenelle! Woooooooo Jenelle!
Remember, if you didn’t win this time around, you’ll get two more chances before the final drawing on the 16th. And you can still enter! (scroll to the bottom for the entry form).